Thursday 26 May 2016

Mama's boy

"A man died in his home, alone. Police stated that it might happened just after the blackout last night because he had a torchlight in his hands. The bizzare thing is that, only his house had the blackout. Police also mentioned that the electric cable box was smashed. It is possible that last night there was a home invasion, but autopsy said that he died from a heart attack. They also said that he had alcohol in him when he died. They believed that the man saw something that made him got the heart attack. In other news.."

I turned off television.

"More of the same news. As usual, but it could've been me. Thank god it wasn't." I said.
"Honey! Breakfast is ready!" My mom shouted.

I was starving. Last night I didn't eat anything. Only got drunk with my friend at a party. Got a hangover for an hour. After a shower, I was fine. Thank god it wasn't long. I have work today.
I couldn't wait any longer. So I went downstairs for breakfast. The scent from upstairs was already delicious. I'm thinking bacons, side with siausages, omelete, and red bean. An English breakfast! Lovely meal to start my day!

"Did you sleep well last night?" My mom asked.

She doesn't know that I went out with my friend last night. I partied with girls, had booze and had my first marijuana joint. Last night was awesome, and I went home late. Probably around 11:00 pm. Well, it's not that late, but to me it is.

"Yeah mom, I did" I lied. What kind of child lies to his own mother? What's wrong with me?
"Good to hear that. Here I made you your favourite, English breakfast."
"Thank you so much!"

Grabbed the fork, and started eating the breakfast like it was my last meal ever in a prison, life setenced, like today was my deathrow.

"Slowly dear. You don't want to get a stomach ache."
"Sorry."

I guess you can call me 'Mama's boy'.

"So, how's your dad sweetie? Did he call you last night?" Mom asked, looking worried.
"I don't know. He didn't call."

Mom started to worry even more. So I reassured her by telling her that dad will be fine on his own. Mom smiled and rubbed my hair. Great. My hair ruined. Thanks mom.

It was almost time for work. I finished my breakfast. Drank 1 glass of orange juice. Too sweet for me though. Filled my water bottle with water, duh, and grabbed my phone and my bag and off to work I go.

"Have a nice day sweetie!"
"Thanks mom! You too!"

The place where I work isn't that far from where I live. So I don't need to use my car. I have to wear a jacket every time I go to work on foot because it's really cold, but sadly I forgot my jacket.
Just as I was about to arrive, my phone buzzed and rang. My ringtone started to play outloud. I have to answer it before it draws attention to me. So I reached into my pocket, grab the phone and answered it.

"Hello?"
"Hello, Tommy?"
"Dad?"
"Tommy!"
"Dad!"
"It's so good to listen to your voice again!"
"Yours too, dad! When are you coming back?"
"I don't know yet. Probably in 3 weeks."

As soon as I heard that, I was disappointed. But I didn't want my dad to know so I covered it by using another tone when talking to him.

"So Tommy, I heard you got a new job. What's the job?"
"Yeah I did. I am a barista at the coffee shop where you usually go for lunch with your colleagues at work."
"Does it pay much?"
"Not really, but it's enough for me."

Then I realised I was going to be late at work, and I'm still outside the café. So I told my dad that I have to go. Dad said he'll call again soon. I entered the café through the back door.

"Wow you're almost late." Josh said.
"Yeah, no shit, Josh."
"It's your shift now being the cashier."
"What? I thought it was Ronald's turn."
"Well yeah, but he got sick."
"Damn it. Why now? Fuck. Fine."

I put on my apron with my name on it, and went to the cashier. I was annoyed though. Ronald is always sick and I have to do his part of the job everytime. I'm annoyed because I don't get paid for this. Ronald still receives his wages because of his work that I've done for him. So unfair.
These teenage couples are having a difficult time to order, especially the girl. God, she doesn't know what kind of pies to order. Ofcourse I can't show that kind of body language towards customers. So I have to pretend that I'm patient, or else my wages will be cut off. Finally she chose a pie.

"Hey, Josh. One black coffee, two vanilla shakes and one chicken pie. The name for the order is Sam."
"Alright, Tommy."

"Next!" I shouted, but not too loud and not the rude kind either. "Hi welcome! How may I help you?"
"Hi, we would like to order-"

Before I could listen to the next order, I heard someone yelling. It was those teenage couples. They were fighting. The other teenager tried to stop them, but got into the fight as well. I got distracted by them.

"Excuse me."
"Oh sorry sir, I was distracted by those teenagers there."
"It's alright. We want two caramel coffees and one blueberry pie, please. Thank you."

Told Josh what was the next order. Josh said okay.
God, the teenagers are still fighting. They are so loud! Everyone in the café stopped what they were doing and watched the teenagers fighting. They were shouting at each other. 

"Hey, Josh, can you tell those teenagers to stop fighting? They are disturbing the others and if they won't stop fighting, ask them to leave."

Josh nodded and will stop them. But before he could, one of the teen shouted, and stormed off. The teenager girl too. Josh continued from where he left off. Then the other teenager left the café. Back to peace and quiet. 

"Order for Sam!" Josh called. No one came. "Order for Sam?" Josh tried again.
"Josh, that order was for the teenagers who just left."
"What am I suppose to do with these then?"
"I don't know."

My phone buzzed and rang again. Probably dad again.

"Hey Josh, do you mind taking my place for a while? Just for few minutes."
"Yeah, sure. I don't mind."

I took the phone out and answered it.

"Tommy, David died last night. I'm so sorry."
"Mom? Wait, what?" I didn't catch it at first. Then I recalled what she said and try to rephrase it.
"David died last night?"
"Yeah. Did you hear the news this morning?"

Holy shit. The news from this morning was about David?! What the fuck! I went out with David last night for the party, and now he's dead? Fuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment